Tuesday, January 9, 2007

continuing to live a funk free existence

So I haven't been writing because I just kind of don't want to jinx it...But, well, here we are and so here I go.

Dare I say it? I actually feel... happy. I cannot pinpoint exactly why my emotional hardwiring is deciding to do an about-face, but damn it feels good to not feel bad. I have been blowing off my Korean classes, mostly because I don't have time to do the work to pass and it is beginning to feel hopeless. But you know what? For the first time, this does not stress me out.

The General Secretary. Busier than ever. But, this also does not stress me out... With him I just let go of expectations. I know his job is hard. I know he's always working and that he wants to be here as much as I want him to be here. But I know, too, that this is a short term situation and for the next month this is what life must be like. So why start a fight about it? So I've changed my mind-set to how I think when I'm single, which is much healthier anyway, and the General Secretary and I (though not broken up now) are going to have a go at what a real life might be like together when his post with the Migrants Trade Union is completed in just over a month.

And work. Well, I still don't care, but I have resolved to make a lot of money in the coming year and so I'm on the hunt. But I think I've figured out that doing a lot of different kinds of teaching is what just might work for me. Right now, I am working part time at a hagwon, teaching private lessons, and about to pick up another part time kindergarten gig. It's all different enough that I'm not bored out of my mind by the repetion and right now it's enough work to live comfortably (if not a little meagerly)... So in March, we'll see if I can keep up this kind of schedule or if I have to become a one-job woman again.

I'm still on the look out for an affordable gym that makes sense given all the different places I have to commute to around Seoul, where I can get into a routine and stick to it. But in the meantime, I'm not feeling as lazy as I was a couple of weeks ago.

And lastly: Rani (roll the r, short a, kind of spanish sounding). Rani is the newest edition to our bustling household of 4 and one of the cutest darn kittens you've ever seen. And perhaps the most social I've ever met. She cannot stand to be alone and is extremely jealous of the GS, which unfortunately for me, has resulted in an abnormal amount of laundry. But she is playful and cuddly and everyone loves her and she has really earned her name, which means "Queen" in Bangla.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I love her coloring! I'm glad you're doing better. I still miss you and wish you would come home though. Looks like we're going to get the house. We think we have a decent offer coming in on the condo today.

Miss you! Miss you! Kisses for your little Rani!+