Monday, September 24, 2007

It's Chuseok!

I'm too lazy to explain Chuseok, so in stead, I'll let you read about it on Wikipedia. On Thursday, we had a Chuseok party at school where all the kids and teachers came wearing hanbok (Korean traditional dress). We made song pyeon, a kind of chuseok rice cake that is really yummy, learned about bowing and traditional tea ceremony, and played traditional games like yut nori and sileum. It was fun!

I learned how to bow. And yes, this is my hanbok. It was given to me two years ago, but I never had the opportunity to wear until this year.





And look at how freakin cute the kids are in their hanbok:



bowing:




This yut nori. I think the game has a Chinese origin.

More bowing:


Chuseok chal bo ne say yo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How freaking cute. Wish I could see your face though. :)

Woman Warrior said...

I named that last little girl after you. Can't tell from that picture, but she's really skinny and cute and quirky like you were when you were little. She loves to dance and sing and had some great moves. Obviously, she is -like- my favorite. And her hanbok might've been the most beautiful one there, but you can't tell that from the picture, either.

Woman Warrior said...

Oh- if you wonder what I mean by "named", well they obviously have real Korean names, but while they are in English school, they take on an English name. I'm not particularly a fan of that system, but sometimes you can have fun with it. For example, there is one class named only after Harry Potter characters, and once my friend Melissa only gave really obscure Bible names, and then there was that one class a few years ago with names like Marge, Homer, Maggie, Ralph, Bart, Lisa... You get the picture. Sometimes english teachers are cruel. I'm not cruel. I just name kids after family members. Easy to remember.

Rev Dr Mom said...

They are really cute!

BerryBird said...

The kids are super cute... and I am so glad you told the story of their "naming." It's so sweet that you named your favorite after NSLS!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

What sweet charming children! :-D