Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Planning Christmas

Should I spend $240 to go to Orlando for a day and a half to see my grandmother when I'm home for Christmas? Would it be horrible if I didn't go at all?

The problem is that I'm home for so little time. And I imagine visiting my grandmother would also entail staying with my aunt or cousin, which I can't say that I'd be very excited about. Nor would I be excited about being there alone. Nor would I be excited about Florida.

Honestly, I don't really want to go. But I have a whole bunch of guilt. I haven't seen my grandmother for maybe 5 years. ( Actually, I'm not sure, but I think it was at my grandfather's funeral) And well, she's old and moved into a home now and doesn't get around so good, so you know, it's kind of a now or maybe never thing. But our family (as in my mom's family) isn't exactly what you would call close. And honestly, I don't really mind all that much... I just mean that I'm used to it so it doesn't really tear me apart to not see them on a holiday.

And there are a lot of people in Vermont that I'd really like to see.

And what about my older brother? He's engaged now...Where is he going to be?

Why does planning a trip home for Christmas have to entail how everybody I know feels about my homecoming?

Maybe I'm just a rotten and selfish person. I should go...

2 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

A very good friend said to me that I would feel guilty/bad whether I went or not, so I should do what was best for me. (I'm not going--for all the reasons you listed and more).

I hope Older Brother and fiancee will come to Vermont or my house...we'll see.

You're not rotten or selfish. You're human and a part of a very complicated family.

I think you should let us know what YOU want and we'll accommodate to that as much as we can.

I'm glad you're blogging every day!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mom. Whatever you want to do is cool. I just want to see you because I'm selfish. :) Seriously, no pressure. I want to just relax and maybe watch some top model with you.