Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In Other News:

Chicken is off the menu here in Korea. Avian InFluenza, a.k.a. Bird Flu is back...

AND:

Beef is also off the menu. Korea just lifted the ban on importing American beef (yeah for prices, boo for health, apparently), but no one wants to eat it because they are worried about mad cow disease. (Are Americans worried? seriously, no one in Asia wants American beef). AND it is political to not eat American beef because Koreans are viewing it as part and parcel of the free trade agreement (fta) that is being negotiated with the US, which something like 70% of Koreans are against. They see the beef as a symbol of American imperialism... which I guess it is? I mean, everyone thinks it's a public health risk and they think the government lifted the ban, against the wishes of the majority, so negotiations would go more smoothly. Is this just a preview of what will happen if the FTA is approved? Most people think so...

Which is really too bad because I've really been craving a cheese burger this week. Should I risk it?

So:
That leaves pork.

gross.

Let's all be vegetarians again. Or pescatarians. What's life in Korea without dried squid, after all?

2 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

I saw the thing about bird flu in the news....scary.

Anonymous said...

Sister-Can you just come home? I mean, I know you like Korea and that someone you really care about is there, but I miss you. Mom misses you. I haven't spent a Christmas with you, well, a really long time. So...can you just come home? Yes, I'm being completely selfish but I'm the little sister. I'm supposed to be selfish. :) Love you!