Sunday, November 26, 2006

Just Look At Your Terrible Life!

So I managed to pull together a Thanksgiving Meal and invited some korean friends, but about halfway through the meal I lost interest in the idea of Thanksgiving because everyone was speaking korean and i felt alone anyways. So they had a great time and loved my (quasi) American cooking, while I spent half of the evening looking to see if any of my family tried to call me or send me any messages (they didn't) and cleaning up after the human termites who were in my house. Yes, that is kimchi on left corner of the table. What do you want, I live in Korea.


Here are the termites, aka my korean family, at work. When we were mostly done with the eating portion of the programme and moved on to binge drinking, Nak June made what is now famously called his goddamn. It started with making kiwi peels into shot glasses and progressed into an apple cup that had a little bit of everything on the table in it. It was disgusting. I guess we needed some entertainment.




Nak June and Kang Yong would say, "just look at your terrible life!" It's a joke around our house these days about how pathetic we all are, but really, look at my terrible life. Right now my classes aren't in session and I'm only working two days a week (in the evenings) so I'm really having problems getting motivated and finding things to fill my days. My house is already spotless and I've read a shit-ton of books lately and I'm sort of at a loss for what comes next. Some days i don't get out of my pjs at all. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? The good news is that classes start again next week, so I'll least be busy on a sort of half-time basis, although I'm not feeling very enthusiastic about learning Korean these days.




It's kimchi making season, so you see stacks of cabbage and turnips hanging out all over the place this time of year. This is in my neighborhood. I'm going to make kimchi next week with an activist group. I'll let you know how it goes.



This is a persimmon tree with persimmons drying on it. It's a little confusing because the persimmons are no longer attached to the tree, but actually they originally came from that tree. I don't like persimmons myself, but if I did, I would be lucky because I have access to this very tree from my rooftop. I was excited until I tasted the fruit. Too sweet.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least you made the best of the items that were available to you. green bean cassarole is great though. the birds look really good.

dad

Casey said...

The dinner looks great!

Sorry you're feeling down.