Tuesday, November 21, 2006

it's the small things

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, here's my attempt to stop complaining and tell the world about things that I actually like:

-- Ho DDeok- Funny spelling? Yes, but it tastes darn delicious. Ho Ddeok is a Korean adaption of an originally chinese pancake that is so darn yummy and cheap (only $.50) that you have to eat them every time you see them. They start with a slab of dough, slather some sweet cinnamon and nut concoction on it, make it into a ball and then flatten it out on a hot and greasy griddle. Warning, the gooey deliciousness inside will burn your lips and stick to your clothes if not handled with care!

--My neighborhood. So like, in some ways I really hate my neighborhood. Why? Because all of the worse elements of the North American ex-pat scene can be found here. Fortunately for me, I live up the hill, slightly away from the racist expats and the Koreans who love them. So let's take a walk up the hill to the Korean side of the 'hood. See up there, the best kimchi in all of Korea can be found (and my kimchi grandma as I call her, who always tells me I speak Korean well and then asks me if she is beautiful). And up there, the ho ddeok lady is extra sweet. And, up there, the neighborhood grannies hang out in the 24 atm room to stay warm because they love each other's company so much. Kids play in the street and roam freely because all of the shop owners are their surrogate parents. And from up there, it is only a short walk to one of my favorite Korean activist groups: Suyo pluse Nomo. From up there, you have an excellent view of everything south of the Han River, and from up there you can catch a bus to downtown Seoul.

--This morning I awoke with the smell of garlic in my nostrils. I know, it sounds weird that I'd actually enjoy that, but it means that my downstairs neighbor is in phase 2 of kimchi making, which I kind of get to watch because it happens outside in front of my house. And I love kimchi!! (and last winter, she gave us some-- mmmmmmmmmmmm)

--Ondul Floors. Feeling cold? Sit on the floor! Hate putting your feet on the floor in the morning? Hate no more. Ondul floors make winter downright delightful. And in fact, I love not having a bed because the floor is so nice and toasty. Only the bathroom doesn't have ondul, in fact the bathroom doesn't have heat of any kind, so in the winter, it is definitely the least desirable place to spend your time. Poop fast and shower faster so you can rush back to the floor and feel nice.

--The internet is fan-freakin-tastic. This month, I taught myself how to crochet by looking at pictures (of course, I had previous instruction almost exactly one year ago, but said previous instructor is now residing in the USA - much to my dismay- and is probably lounging at her parents' house making a crocheted monkey as I write). Of course, I have not yet gotten beyond finger warmers (you must wrap and tie) and mustache warmers, which can also serve as handkerchiefs in case of runny nose. Sure it looks a little gross, but it beats dripping on your upper lip! And let's hooray for new hobbies while we're at it!

-- Rice. Kim (dried seaweed, not my american friend). Dried Squid with sweet gochujang. My lunch. Every day. And darn good.

--The Ginkgo and Japanese Maple trees on my way to the subway station. Outstanding.

--Living next to Nam San (South Mountain). On weekend nights it's more like living next to Grand Prix practice for geared out Koreans, but nearly every other time and day, it's a great place to get away from the hardcore cityscape and enjoy a little nature.

--Splurging on books: I am now simultaneously reading "Becoming Madame Mao," "Little Infamies," "No One Writes to the Colonel," and the November issue of Z Magazine. I was starved for reading for so long. And now I have all these books that I have to read all at the same time because it is so darn exciting. Maybe it sounds confusing to read about revolutionary China, Greece, Latin America and American politics all at the same time, but really it's not. Especially if you are mostly unemployed, like me.

--Realizing that you are good at something. Last night I substitute taught for the school I was recently fired from (don't get me started on that, it'll bring down the quality of the "small things" post) and realized that I really turn students on. They were down right excited with me at the head of the classroom. And gosh darn it, it was even fun. ... So why do I hate working so much?

-- And last of the day: Waking up in a hug. Yes, I especially like that. And who wouldn't?

No comments: