Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Longing

Tonight I took a long walk through my favorite part of Seoul. The art districts in Insa-dong and Sam Chung Dong are nestled between the bustling financial and shopping center of central Seoul and the historic palaces of Gyeongbuk and Deok Sung. This part of Seoul is full of cherry trees, lilac, azaleas, forsythia and newly budding Maple and Ginkgo trees. It's a special time of year in Korea, with lots of reasons to celebrate and as you walk through the streets, there is definitely a festive air. Since Buddha's birthday is coming up, colorful paper laterns line the streets and adorn the already lovely sprind green trees.

While walking through the winding streets, you can stumble upon fancy guest houses in traditional Korean buildings, hidden art galleries, funky little boutiques, and Buddhist temples are practically everywhere you turn. The streets are full of couple holding hands; monks with their shaved heads and grey half hanbok, half monk uniform. And, of course, there are tourists. On the main road in Insa-dong, there are lots of street vendors selling roasted chestnuts, special candy, rice cake sweets, kitchy tourist wares, handmade paper, art supplies. And there are entertainers. Tonight there was band playing what sounded like New Orleans-styled Jazz. (go figure)

This part of Korea feels a lot like a certain place at home to me. Except that in Insa-dong, the chances of running into someone you know are pretty slim. And as I was walking, I was thinking about how I have already been here for more than 2 years and no one has come to visit me. And probably no one ever will.

Lil sister was supposed to make her way over in May with her hubby the Mr. LS, but they bought a house and well, that's that. (No Lil Sis, this is not a guilt trip)...

I just wish someone could come here to share this crazy place with me, to see what my life is like. To judge for themselves what they like and don't like about Korean culture instead of taking my word for it.

Doesn't anyone want to know what my life is like here? Can't you come to me??!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Sister. Wish we could come. Stupid house. Stupid expensive plane tickets. I miss you!

BerryBird said...

((WW))

This is very sad. I always felt guilty that I never made it down to visit my sister when she lived in Florida. I couldn't swing a plane ticket to Korea any time soon, though, either, as interesting as it all sounds. I hope someone from home makes it for a visit before you move on. Wanting to share this time and place seems so right.

Anonymous said...

um, sean and i are trying to figure out if we can swing it. just so you know, but we didn't want to say anything until we actually knew if we could. but i can't promise anything, it has to do with my continuing recovery (which is going well, but i still get quite tired and sometimes experience pain) my grandpa's declining health and just basic discussion. we'll keep you informed.

miss you,

mlj