Thursday, December 20, 2007

In America

Today I blog from the RevDrMom's computer in what is not really my hometown, but a home of sorts. It took me a bit longer to get here than I had anticipated (26 grueling hours with more than 6 security checks, 4 airports, two taxis, and finally a bus and middle seats on airplanes between fat people the whole way the added bonus of 4 obnoxious teenagers who truly believed in their own hilarity and wished to share it with everyone with a 4 aisle radius), but I am here and it is a relief.

It shocked me a little this morning when I turned on the computer and found myself staring at birds and squirrels who are feeding right outside the window. It's been a long time since I've even seen a squirrel and the only birds I ever catch sight of in Korea are magpies, but that is always from a distance. And the size of the kitchen has confounded my efforts at obtaining breakfast. I feel confused by the amount of food and the various options for cooking it. It took me an hour to get the coffee made and I'm not sure that I'll figure out what to do for breakfast before lunch time arrives. But man am I starving.

When my mom and brother picked me up, I couldn't even recognize my brother who has grown a foot and long hair, not to mention a (dare I say?) deep voice and childishly adult heir about him. The very pregnant NSLS will arrive with her lovely hubby tomorrow night sometime and then I'm sure the real reunion will begin.

I honestly wanted to cry when I saw my mother last night. It hasn't felt so good to hug a person in a long time. I don't know how I'm going to get the courage to return to lonely Korea, if only for two months to finish up my contract and pack up my stuff to return.

I can finally say that it feels good to be home.

And by the way, Masum is home and fine for the time being. He still has quite a lot of family issues to deal with, but that could take weeks for me to process so hold tight if you are waiting for an update to the illegal immigrant love story.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hug you!!!! And take care of you. Hope that's okay. Hubby will make the coffee next time. Please get on IM so we can chat.

Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Welcome home! Hope you enjoy your visit.

Rev Dr Mom said...

I'm glad you're here, too!

Casey said...

Welcome home!

Anonymous said...

good to hear Masum is ok so far at home. welcome back, hopefully i'll see you on your trip thru VT. AC

Anonymous said...

your mom does give a mean hug & i can only imagine it would be so great after all that's been going on in your life. geez louise. and i can't imagine what your brother looks like (and sounds like!!). i see him on face book, but he mainly uploads blurry pics with a guitar or close-ups of his eye!! happy christmas...i'm glad to have your blog info!

BerryBird said...

I am so glad to hear you are in the loving embrace of your family, and that Masum is safe, at least for now.

I think making coffee might confound me, too. Maybe try tea tomorrow? It is ever so much simpler.

Kim said...

I am so glad you are back safe.I miss you terrible. Can you please call me.

Anonymous said...

Devon, I'm Hyewon.
I was just surprised and worried and finally relieved.
Ellie made a phone call to you, but she didn't hear anything from you. We miss you Devon.
Have you heard? Ellie is going to get married on 16, Feb.
Before her wedding, We hope one of these days, we will get together. When you come back, please call me or Ellie.

Love, Hyewon